Google made an official announcement on February 26, 2015 that it will begin favoring mobile-friendly websites in search results. According to Google "This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results." With this update, there is good news and bad news for non-responsive design/non mobile-friendly websites.
- Google will see your website as non mobile-friendly or mobile-friendly. There is no middle-ground.
- All signals point to having very limited visibility in search results if your website isn't mobile-friendly.
- If the text is too small to read on mobile or the links on the page appear too close together your page will be flagged as 'not mobile-friendly'.
The update will likely only affect individual pages and not entire domains.
- It should only affect your mobile rankings. Desktop rankings will likely be unaffected.
- Once changes are made, it should reflect immediately and the rankings should return fairly quickly.
- If your website is already mobile-friendly, you're likely to have a leg up on the competition!
What To Do Next:
The best long-term solution is to make your website responsive. It will give your visitors the best user experience for all devices.
You can also check your individual webpages to see if they are mobile-friendly by using Google's Mobile-Friendly Test Tool.
You should also keep an eye on the Mobile Usability section in your Google Webmaster Tools account. It will give you a list of pages with errors.
These changes will go into effect on April 21, 2015 and like most Google algorithm changes, it will likely take a few days to a few weeks for a complete roll out. There’s no better time than now to make these important changes to your website. Embrace this algorithm change and seize the opportunity to outrank your competitors as they see their rankings fall for failing to adapt to the changing and rapidly growing mobile environment.
If you have any questions or concerns about your website's mobile-friendliness, please contact us or give us a call at 626.400.4511!